Mikel Arteta provides update on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s return with striker in quarantine
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has admitted he is unsure of when Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will return to action, with the forward now isolated after leaving the country last week.
The 31-year-old traveled to Southampton with the Gunners on January 23 for their FA Cup fixture, but he left the team to be with his ailing mother, meaning he must have missed their last three matches.
Arsenal were able to beat Southampton in the league on Tuesday and held Manchester United to a draw on Saturday without Aubameyang, but Arteta is obviously keen to have his star striker come back to him.
And speaking of Aubameyang’s possible return, the Spain coach admitted he was unsure of when the striker will be allowed to return to the Premier League as he is now serving a period of isolation after leaving the country.
“We have to follow the rules and protocols now and the protocols say he can’t be involved at the moment,” Arteta told the Evening Standard after the goalless draw with United.
“He had a family problem that he had to deal with and that’s the consequence of that.
Aubameyang’s absence has been particularly felt in the stalemate with the Red Devils, and Arsenal will be hoping to join the playing squad ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers.
But Arteta said he “didn’t know” of any scheduled return date for the Gunners captain and made sure the club “follow the rules and protocols” during his quarantine period.
“I do not know. We are working with the Premier League and the government on this. He is looking after his family and now he is in quarantine.
“We have to respect that and the doctor is handling the situation now.”
The Gunners face Wolves midweek before heading to Aston Villa on Saturday.